Everyday Chic

for those of us who can't afford couture, but still seek to look gorgeous every day... strategies for investing in your wardrobe by maximizing its dollar-to-chic ratio

Buy Shoes at Zappos.com Zappos.com Shoe Sale!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Canal St Fake Handbag Update: CHLOE's Arrived!

So this weekend I was in NYC (I am up there every other weekend since my boyfriend and my careers are in geographic conflict right now) and decided that, after all that posting on fake handbags, it was time I went and browsed at Canal St myself, since I hadn't been in a few months.

I went to several storerooms (some nestled behind sewing facilities, one in a basement, all under multiple lock-and-key entrances) but was disappointed with the selection and quality of the fakes. Even my boyfriend was unimpressed, and while he entertains my fascination with designer bags, he is not someone who follows these things closely (I still can't believe I got him to Canal with me).
I couldn't find anyone to take me to the place where I KNOW there are high-grade fakes but I did see something promising - two imitation Chloe Paddington handbags (dark brown) in two separate locations. The first one was not very good, the padlock was scratched, etc, but the second was much better, although the "leather" seemed a bit too thin. While neither was so amazing that I had to buy it, the appearance of fake Chloe is the sign of much more to come, with better versions soon available!
I also saw Balenciaga, which was new to me on Canal as well - but they had BALENCIAGA plastered on the front, which is not something you'd find on a real Balenciaga bag.

It seems like a whole new era may be dawning for the fake handbag world... I'm going back to Canal in Nov (need to buy some Christmas presents before Thanksgiving), so I'll post back with an update then - where hopefully I'll have news about the introduction fake designer iPod cases!

Related: Part I-VI: Introduction, What's Available, What to Look for, Canal St, Other Fake Items, Industry Overview

8 Comments:

  • At 1/04/2006 2:21 AM, Anonymous discount said…

    Ruthless stuff, but a good read for anyone stopping by. Makes me think.
    etienne aigner handbag.

     
  • At 1/13/2006 2:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why would you endorse buying fake bags? Don't you know about the sweatshoops?

     
  • At 9/10/2006 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agee to some extent about fakes having an appeal if they look so realistic...however, after buying what was presented as an authenic Kate Spade Sam bag- then finding out it was a knock off, I returned it. Even though no one else could tell, I just couldn't carry it. I guess if I can't afford the real thing I'd rather have nothing at all.

     
  • At 11/16/2007 10:29 PM, Blogger chris said…

    Hi,

    We have recently launched a {designer handbag | designer watches | designer
    jewellery } (choose one which is most appropriate) blog and we are looking
    to spread the word and get in contact with similar websites to ours to
    promote relevant blogs and websites.

    Please email me at chriss714@gmail.com

    Thanks
    Chris

     
  • At 12/08/2007 2:26 AM, Anonymous Beauty Girl said…

    I realize you wrote this post a couple of years ago but it made me laugh because it still holds true today...

    Canal street is lined with fake handbags that women with embroidered sweatshirts, high wasted Lee's and white Reebocks carry with pride.

    But...Mother will never see this post! hahah

    :)Beauty Girl
    http://www.spiralhaircase.com

     
  • At 9/26/2008 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you people should be ashamed of yourselves. and yes, if you do get a good knockoff, you are only fooling yourself. okay there is the sweatshop issue but really, how can you be proud to walk around with a cheap copy of good quality luxury items? it makes me sick.

     
  • At 9/26/2008 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    save up for the real one and be proud to rock real stuff!

     
  • At 11/22/2016 8:30 PM, Anonymous Ian E. Gorge said…

    Thank you for sharing your ideas. I am also facing the from ali express. the handbag the they sent me was poor in quality

     

Post a Comment

<< Home