Everyday Chic

for those of us who can't afford couture, but still seek to look gorgeous every day... strategies for investing in your wardrobe by maximizing its dollar-to-chic ratio

Buy Shoes at Zappos.com Zappos.com Shoe Sale!

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Winter Work Attire: Dress Pants

Banana Republic has some great winter dress pants that are perfect for wearing to the office or providing balance to a funky top or romantic blouse. They are reasonably priced for their quality, but if you can wait, they will almost assuredly go on sale (Banana is predictable like that). But if they do, you need to get them the first day of the sale, otherwise your size will be gone.

I prefer Banana's Martin fit, as its lower waist prevents the classic look from becoming stodgy.

These lightweight wool martins, $98 (right), are form-fitting in the waist but looser
throughout the leg, providing a flattering cut for your booty (they fit me perfectly). The wool blend isn't too thick- its textured to work with both chunky knits or soft jersey long-sleeve tops. The brown is so dark it's almost black, which makes it a great pallette for a warm-colored ensemble.


I featured these wool blend twill cuffed martins, $88 (left), in my post about grey pants, but I'm willing to repeat myself because these pants are so well tailored. The waistband, belt loops and cuffs add depth to the light color of the pants. They would go well with wintry pastels like light blue and pink, or in contrast to a black sweater.







The darker khaki color of these flannel wide-waist martins, $98 (right), is perfect for winter - dark enough to go with blacks and chocolate browns, and light enough to go with softer color tones. The thick fabric and wide waistband compliment their wool texture. Word of caution: These looked great on me when I tried them on, but the waistband was much too prominent on my shorter friend, overpowering her waist and visually cutting her in half (my friend is 5'2 and I'm 5'4 - 2 inches can make a difference!).




3 Comments:

  • At 11/10/2005 12:47 PM, Blogger Dinah said…

    Banana makes really nice pants but they are so much cheaper when they are on sale. The best thing about buying their pants is they do the alterations for you and I think they are free.

     
  • At 4/17/2007 12:58 PM, Anonymous erin said…

    You should know that if you buy 7 DAYS before the sale at BR, you can go back with your receipt and get refunded the sale price. Always ask the salesperson when/if the item will go on sale! I have done this and it works!

     
  • At 12/26/2016 12:54 PM, Anonymous Edna D. Wolff said…

    I have checked out the wish list of pants. Wonderful collection of winter dresses pant . I'm totally impressed. I just love the khaki skinny pants. This one is really so stunning and beautiful.Great post and suggestion to select perfect pants in winter.Informative post, I love to read your post regularly, Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home